Hazard Marker Warning

Last Update: 22 July, 2015

Boat Licensing and Regulations

Pat's Boating in Canada is a great source for boating information; check out their website:

Once into that website, you will find a very long list of links on the left hand side for just about everything you always wanted to know about boating but were afraid to ask!

Other websites include:

The following is a very condensed view of information from Pat's Boating website as well as some local information, contacts and government links that we have added.


Licences are required on all pleasure crafts with motors greater than 10 HP. Boaters are required to have a copy of the licence AND proof of ownership on board. If you currently have a licence number on the side of your boat such as, 32E12345 or ON12345, you must keep a copy of the Pleasure Craft Licence Form on board at all times. The OPP are stopping boats and asking for this along with all necessary safety equipment and devices. The fine is $110 per incident.

If you have your ownership papers but no licensing papers, you need only go to a Government Services Canada (GSC) Centre and they will complete all the paperwork and issue the licence at no cost. There are two in our area:

Services Canada
46 Lansdowne
Carleton Place, Ontario


Services Canada
13 Herriott
Perth, Ontario

Rules and Regulations: